Consulting a Medical Specialist

Your First Consultation with a Medical Specialist

For your initial consultation with a medical specialist, you must first see your family doctor. He or she will evaluate your health condition and refer you to a medical specialist if it is necessary.

If you do not have a family doctor, you can find a resource offering medical consultation on the same or next day and you can register with a family doctor (GAMF).

For a follow-up

If you have already seen a medical specialist and he or she feels you should receive a follow-up, you do not have to go through your family doctor.

Direct Access for Appointments with Certain Medical Specialists

If the family doctor that you have seen requests an emergency consultation with a medical specialist, he or she will book the appointment for you. 

If the family doctor feels that a consultation with a medical specialist is not urgent, he or she will send a request for consultation to a services dispatch centre (centre de répartition des demandes de services – CRDS). The CRDS is responsible for getting you an appointment with a specialist within an appropriate time frame and in consideration of your clinical condition. In such a case, you don't have to do anything to have your appointment booked.

At present, this service covers consultation requests for medical specialists in:

  • Cardiology
  • Gastroenterology
  • Nephrology
  • Ophthalmology
  • Otorhinolaryngology (ORL)
  • Orthopedics
  • Pediatrics
  • Urology

Specialties Not Covered by Direct Access

If the family physician refers you to a doctor with a specialty currently not covered by the CRDS, you must arrange the appointment yourself. Your family doctor will give you a prescription for the purpose. You will also be given the contact information for the hospital or clinic in order for you to make an appointment.


Consumption of Alcohol and Other Drugs, and Gambling Cannabis... Your teen is curious? Registering with a Family Doctor Anxiety disorders are real. So are the solutions.